Maisha Collective Sales & Marketing Internship
Heshima Kenya is a non-profit headquartered in Chicago that works to protect and empower unaccompanied refugee young women and girls, including their children, who have been displaced by war and are living alone in Nairobi, Kenya. In order to support their journey to independence, Heshima Kenya developed the Maisha Collective, a peer-driven initiative that fosters leadership and business management skills through the design and production of unique, hand-dyed scarves.
INTERNSHIP DATES: Spring 2016 (flexible)
SCHEDULE: Flexible, 15 hours per week minimum
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR: Our team is looking for an intern to assist with all Maisha Collective-related events, programs and communications. You will have the opportunity to gain experience in an international non-profit, learn in a collaborative team environment, connect with customers to share our work, and work on sales, marketing and graphic design for our brand.
- Research and develop new events, retail outlets and partners
- Facilitate and coordinate all Maisha Collective events, attending events as necessary
- Organize and manage volunteer database and outreach
- Respond to customer communications
- Manage e-commerce platforms and orders
- Conduct weekly inventory
- Work with the Sales & Strategic Partnerships Coordinator on special projects
- Working toward or obtained Bachelor degree (the subject is not important, we are more interested in passion for our mission and desire to learn!)
- Basic graphic design skills
- Excellent communication, grammar and writing skills
- Willing to take on administrative and operational tasks
- Positive, upbeat attitude and honest
- Knowledge of or interest in the refugee crisis, social enterprise and economic empowerment
- Creativity and project management skills
- Experience planning & coordinating events
- Experience working for a non-profit, social enterprise or small business
This is an unpaid internship.
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered. Applications without a cover letter will not be reviewed. Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we ask that you do not call Heshima Kenya's offices regarding this position. All qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview.