Sales & Marketing Internship
Heshima Kenya is a non-profit headquartered in Chicago that works to protect and empower unaccompanied refugee young women and girls, including their children, who have been displaced by war and are living alone in Nairobi, Kenya. In order to support their journey to independence, Heshima Kenya developed the Maisha Collective, a peer-driven initiative that fosters leadership and business management skills through the design and production of unique, hand-dyed scarves.
INTERNSHIP DATES: Fall 2017 (flexible)
SCHEDULE: 20-30 hours per week
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR: Our team is looking for summer interns to assist with all Maisha Collective-related events, programs and communications. You will have the opportunity to gain experience in an international non-profit, learn in a collaborative team environment, and work on sales, marketing, and graphic design for our brand. If you're creative, hard-working, and mission-driven, we want you.
- Research and develop new events, retail outlets and partners
- Facilitate and coordinate all Maisha Collective events, attend when possible
- Organize and manage volunteer database and outreach
- Respond to customer communications
- Manage e-commerce platforms and orders
- Create & curate content for social media
- Assist with product development and launch
- Develop and conduct marketing campaigns
- Conduct weekly inventory
- Work with the Sales & Strategic Partnerships Coordinator on creative projects
- Working toward or obtained Bachelor degree (the subject is not important, we are more interested in passion for our mission and desire to learn!)
- Knowledge of social media and basic marketing strategy
- Excellent communication, grammar and writing skills
- Organized and willing to take on administrative and operational tasks
- Positive, upbeat attitude and honest
- Graphic design skills
- Knowledge of or interest in the refugee crisis, social enterprise and economic empowerment
- Creativity and project management skills
- Experience planning & coordinating events
- Experience working for a non-profit, social enterprise or small business
How To Apply:
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 18, 2017 to be considered. Applications without a cover letter will not be reviewed. Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we ask that you do not call Heshima Kenya's offices regarding this position. All qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview.
At Heshima Kenya, we believe interns are just as important as any other member of the organization. You will have a seat at the table to share your ideas, inputs, and abilities with our U.S. team. As a nonprofit, this position is unpaid, but we can work with you to offer academic credit and encourage you to add any projects you owned during the internship to your portfolio, with permission of your supervisor.